Many people want to at least once in their life is a cycling journey to Ladakh. Then some, notably the Leh Ladakh, are pros for epic biking excursions. But, whether you’re a pro or not, a biking vacation to Leh will drive you into new challenges. It will test you physically and intellectually; it will prepare you for robust terrain and unpredictable weather.
The journey has been known as one of the world’s finest road excursions. That’s right! Mountains covered by snow, tiny roads with sharp curves, mountain ranges of the Karakoram, old monasteries, and many of those weird places offer further aspects to your tour.
Leh’s road is finally open, and therefore the exciting riders are prepared to pull the equipment. And as the familiar adage goes, ‘precautions are better than cures,’ we have some advice for your excursion.
- The one from Manali and the other from Srinagar are two separate paths towards Leh. The route to Leh is around 476 kilometers, whereas the road to Leh is about 434 km. However, the most popular way in Manali is to go across some of the world’s highest motoring paths and dangerous terrains. Therefore, our advice is to select the Srinagar path since you would progressively reach the highlands more rapidly and steeply.
- Mid-May through October is the optimum season for cycling to Ladakh. From mid-May, the roads from Srinagar are opened, and after May, the Manali road opens. Only in the fall and summertime can you take this road journey. Or otherwise, you’re going to have to fly.
- If you were prepared, that would be better at some point to cope with acute mountain disease (AMS). Everything relies on your coping mechanism and how well you are ready.
- Tourism in Leh and Ladakh is very new since it is politically susceptible and volatile on a bike journey in northwest India. For entering the Inner Line zone, specific permits are necessary. The Ladakh local administrations may readily get such licenses.
- Trekking in Ladakh is one of the key attractions for tourists. The weather in Ladakh, especially during summer, should be remembered by tourism; thus, it must always be appropriately supplied with solid woolen trees. Initially, travelers might suffer respiratory issues because of their high altitude. Therefore, before going hiking, it is best to settle with the weather for a day or two.
- Trekkers should constantly maintain adequate water in their backs since high-altitude dehydration creates significant difficulties. Tourists should also wear boxes, medications, and strong woolen apparel, of course.
- Please note that every visitor has a moral obligation to preserve the tranquillity of the environment during hiking or a safari trip by car, or on a walking expedition. Therefore, one should strive by utilizing papers to conserve the clean environment and avoid cluttering devices around. Try also to prevent noise pollution and so disturb the tranquility of the domain.
- Indeed, Ladakh, with the snow-capped towering mountains in front of a pure blue sky, is a charming place. It’s just God’s natural beauty and a feast for eyes. So don’t be wary of using your camera to snap such lovely scenes. Instead, be prepared with several spare memory cards when it’s a digital one.
- Leh, the capital of Ladakh, has internet connections. However, you can’t access the internet anywhere else in Ladakh. So you should fulfill your internet obligations at Leh before going any farther.
- There are various hospitals in Leh for medical amenities. For example, there are several skilled physicians and advanced medical equipment at one district hospital in Kargil. In addition, there are health services in Sankoo, Mulbek, Trespone, Padum, and Panikher.
- A National Park in Leh makes wildlife seem reasonable when trekking. Still, it shouldn’t upset the animals anyhow, or litter, noise pollution, etc., should not destroy the nature of the location.
- Remember to hydrate yourself. Try to get water every day for 3 to 4 liters. Do not attempt to change the instant you get Leh to your hard yoga style. At such a high altitude, even a little stroll will have an impact on you. Wait till your body has enough air conditioning. Then, get ready for the long-awaiting voyage. Work on your stamina and jog.
- Make sure that your Internal Line Permit (ILP) is in order after reaching Leh. You must travel to the DC office in Leh for this and secure your permissions. Be in no urge. Take regular stops and give yourself the precious time to acquaint yourself with the beauty slowly.
- Don’t smoke or drink while you travel. Instead of depending on ATMs, you need to bear extra money with you. If you wish to keep your limbs and head intact for any alarming occurrence, use protective bicycle equipment.
- It will not cost you anything to smile at strangers. Be a tourist responsibly and try to make the truck drivers friendly too! If things go wrong by chance, trucks are the most significant way to call for assistance. Try to retain your itinerary for a few additional days. If you operate on a tight schedule, it won’t be a brilliant idea to visit Leh on a bike.